Friday, May 8, 2009

Orphanage Visit

Yesterday was a hard day for all of us. We were scheduled to leave the hotel at 7:30am so I had to wake both girls up and rush through breakfast to meet Rebecca on time. The van ride to Yangdong SWI took over three hours but Abby and Ruby slept most of the way.
We ended up visiting two orphanages. Our first stop was at the orphange that is right next to Ruby's. Rebecca needed to stop there to photograph and "interview" two children there. I really can't go into all the details of this heartbreaking situation right now here on my blog. But I can tell you that there are two absolutely darling, HEALTHY (previously referred as nsn infants) four year old girls on the shared list.
We then proceeded on to Yangdong. We were warmly received by the director and his staff, given a nice tour of the grounds, and told a bit about the new two-story wing that is being built. Ruby was a bit unsure about being there. She refused to allow any of the staff to hold her except for the assistant director. This is the same woman who was holding Ruby in some of the earlier photos that we have of her. After our general tour, we were allowed to go upstairs to see where Ruby's bed was. This was the hardest part for me. It was also very hard for Abby as many of her preconceived fantasies and dreams of her life in her orphange were instantly shattered. Twenty-eight infants were in that one tiny room!
The director and his staff took us to lunch where we enjoyed fabulous food. We then drove to Ruby's finding place and were able to photograph that. Again this was very hard for Abby as she is trying so hard to understand why she isn't still living with her birth family in China.

The entrance gate to Yangdong SWI

Outdoor play yard

Laundry drying area. The new two-story wing under construction is in the background. It will house the older children on the second floor and will have an indoor playroom and library on the first floor.

Ruby with the assistant director

12 comments:

Doug and Terrye said...

I'm so glad to see you post...you held my heart in your hand as you described your day. I am praying for y'all!

Terrye in FL

richmomma said...

Although it's hard, it's probably really good for Abby to see and understand (or try to start to understand) what the reality of the situation is.

I so admire your insight into your girls' feelings. You are a model for other adoptive families. Blessings to you.

Amie said...

what a day. I ampraying for continued bonding and for those two little girls(and all the little ones ) left behind.

Hugs to you friend!
:)
Amie

ourchinagirls said...

Vicki,

Since we are planning on a return trip to China in the somewhat near future, I will have to pick your brain about how to prepare my girls. ZoraLin did not seem to mind at age 5, but who knows how they will react being older.

~~Hugs~~
Christie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this!
Hugs to Abby & Ruby both.

Chasing Dreams Photography said...

I have been thinking of you and hoping that things went well : )
{{{{{hug}}}}}

day by day said...

Wow...Vicki...seems like a very emotional day for all of you. It sounds like this trip really has Abby thinking and trying to process everything.

Thanks for sharing this important part of your trip with us!!!

Aus said...

So glad to read this post. This was a real 'turning point' in our adoption of Braelyn. Before we went to Yangchun Braely was "OK" with us, from the time we left the SWI she realize we were the 'forever family'. And it's been all good since!

PS - our 'code word' for this post on the blogger site is 'blest' - kind of fitting for today and your trip - eh?

Great joy for you guys -

hugs - aus and co.

Steve n Coco said...

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your posts! I am learning so much from you and praying for you at the same time. It is very interesting learning about both your girls' reactions to the situation as I am sure that all adoptive families go through both. I look forward to hearing more about your bonding as a family!
Be blessed,
Courtney

Vicki said...

Vicki, You are doing such a great job with your girls. I am glad the visit went well for Ruby. How interesting to get to stop at the other orphanage. I could tell that you were really touched. Is your agency representing these two girls? Are there pictures of them somewhere? Good luck with the rest of your trip. I will be following along.
California Vicki
http://www.pomafamily.blogspot.com

Truly Blessed said...

I'm so glad you got to visit the SWI. I know it was hard for Abby, but I know you'll help her process all of those thoughts running through her mind.

I had no idea YD was enlarging the SWI. Sounds very interesting. When you get back home and have some time, please consider telling all of the folks on the YangKids site about what you saw and observed and hear there.

So glad you're almost ready to come home!

familyof8 said...

I so appreciate your post today. A great insight for our daughters. Are those two girls with an agency or on the shared list. Any more info available? I am ready to go back...
Blessings,
Christine
thefahys8@mac.com

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs